I Love My Sweetie

I Love My Sweetie
I Love My Sweetie

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Let's Make a Memory

Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Psalm 127:3.

What was the greatest gift you ever received? Was it something so special that you were willing to sacrifice everything else for it? Did you value it so much that you spent every possible moment with it?
When Mari was about seven years old, she asked me, “Mom, do you ever wish you had waited to have kids so you could have been richer?” I told her my kids were my riches.
There were a lot of things that did not get done because I was busy making memories with my children. Some people said I was wasting my life because I had forsaken a career to stay home. I even remember one working mother commenting to me that it must be nice to be able to stay home and do nothing all day.
I didn’t do nothing—I made memories. I danced in the living room to goofy songs with two giggling kids. I made play-doh worms, mudpies, and clover necklaces. I read the same story a thousand times and played Hi Ho Cherri-O at least two thousand times. Above all, I got to spend all day every day with the two most precious gifts my Father ever gave me.
Now that they are grown, I look back on those memories fondly. At the same time, however, I look at the opportunities the Father has given me to continue making memories. What a precious gift God has given us in the form of our memories.
Unfortunately, some people spend so much time “preparing for the future” that they forget to live in the present. There are parents who swamp their children with material things to make up for the absence of their own presence. We’ve all heard the experts say, “Children would rather have your time than your money.” I believe that is true. For those of you whose children have grown up and left home, let me ask you a question. Which would you prefer...an expensive gift from your children or a visit from your children? See, that’s what I mean. We all value time spent together.
So, spend some time with those you love. Make some memories for them and for yourself. There is always time to do the things you have to do, but nobody ever says, “Remember when we vacuumed the living room?” Take some time to do things just for the sheer pleasure they bring. Eat dessert first, catch snowflakes on your tongue, sing with the radio, but whatever you do, do it with someone you love. Begin today living life to the full and making memories as you go along.

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10

1 comment:

mari said...

Well said. Thanks for staying home with me - I'm so glad you did.